Everyone needs an effective estate plan. Estate planning is about:
- taking control so that you and not someone else is making critical decisions about your assets
- avoiding uncertainty
- taking responsibility for the orderly transfer of assets to your family and loved ones
- paying no more tax than is necessary on the assets you leave behind
- saving your loved ones expenses by avoiding unnecessary applications
- keeping your plan effective by keeping in step with changes in laws and your personal circumstances
- peace of mind for you and your dependents.
Estate planning consists of 3 phases:
- estate growth
- estate protection
- estate succession.
Risks to your assets include debt, disability, divorce, dementia and death. Mechanisms for asset protection include insurance, trusts, binding financial agreements (pre-nups), enduring powers of attorney and wills.
Harding Richards Lawyers can assist you in all phases of your asset and estate plan. We work together with you and your accountant or financial advisor to create and implement an estate plan most suited to your needs.